Monday, August 10, 2015

Yellowstone and Big Horn National Forest

Yellowstone is one of those places you may not want to miss.  I could have easily spent a full week  hiking beautiful quiet trails and taking in the untouched landscape.

We discovered a lovely campground just outside the park entrance. Do I even have to mention that some people book their campsites a year in advance, but we got in by calling the day before?  My husband's luck never seems to fail.  Actually, it does sometimes fail, but as he says, "I just don't freak out." He may possibly have been referring to my tendency to freak out when I don't know the plan or it goes awry. I like planning but am slowly trusting that things tend to work out when one goes with the flow.  A friend once asked, "How would I be if believed that everything was going to be fine?" I am trying to adopt this mindset, albeit with glacially slow baby steps.


A few features of this place gave me pause - garbage dumpsters with locks easily opened by human fingers but too complicated for bear paws, and a sign saying that only hard-backed RVs could camp there, no soft pop-ups or tents.  Great, a new fear - getting mauled by a bear while camping because my dogs won't be quiet. I wished we had worked harder on that not-barking thing.

One of the camp's volunteers offered a dog-sitting service, but we were planning to drive through the park with dogs in the backseat. Good to know, though, for future reference.  Dogs are not allowed on the hiking trails for good reason. They are notoriously terrible at being quiet when they see a bear.  As much as I love hiking,  I was glad to be driving.

Our first stop was Old Faithful Geyser. We had to leave dogs in the truck, parking far away from other cars due to Baccia's incessant scary barking. This is almost impossible as everyone wants to see the geysers and the lot was very crowded.  We could literally hear him barking from Old Faithful, which had to be a half a mile away.  So our tour would be quick, but I managed to capture some photos.  The water was scalding and deeply colorful (see rising steam).









Back at the truck, we found our dogs ecstatic to see us again, windows nice and slobbery.  Good thing I packed the Norwex car window rag.  My husband facetiously calls the Norwex rags, "magic rags." He just saw this blog and commented that I'm always plugging Norwex.  They really should pay me.

Just before the geysers we saw this fella meandering down the street. A girl ran from her car, I am not kidding, to snap a photo with her cell phone, despite warnings all over the place not to do that kind of thing. The buffalo don't like it. I don't know if we were more stunned by the buffalo, or this act of stupidity. At our next campground, we heard that a woman had been attacked by a buffalo while trying to take a selfie.






We continued to wind through the park, doggies and humans taking in the beauty.  Enjoy the tour...






































After Yellowstone, we found ourselves entering Big Horn National Forest, which I had never heard of.  I thought spectacular sights were over once we passed through Yellowstone, but they became even more dramatic as we drove through this rugged landscape.


































No comments:

Post a Comment